04 fevereiro 2011

Preface

My arms and knees forced me into a defensive stance. I was in complete darkness. Couldn't see a thing. I knew I was being followed, but I was trying really hard not to move. I knew if I did, I would phase.

That's what I was here to do. To phase before the eyes of my enemies. I had been set up and now I was their prisoner.

I thought I had learned to control it by now. But I was wrong, and my enemy knew it all too well. It knew I was most vulnerable when I was a werewolf, because all the minds of my pack could be read at once.


My werewolf mind would be an open door to destroy us all. That's why they wanted me. I was the Alpha. I was the key to their victory.

I fought to hold it in, but it was ripping me apart from within. This battle with my own self. I awaited a slow and excruciating death in the hands of the most vicious, the most dreadful thing that not even Alice could have seen coming. Something powerful enough to block all our powers. Something that could destroy us all at once in the fraction of a second.

The wolf within me would be the end of me. The end of all my people, as well as the vampires.

I was a ticking bomb. I felt a surge of adrenaline igniting like acid through the walls of my veins. I saw the lights in my head, the miniature explosions of my neurons firing a million miles a second. I was pure instinct, pure beast, ready to fight even at the expense of my own life. I couldn't see, but I knew what was after me. It was not a werewolf, but it wasn't a bloodsucker either.

It was something far stronger. A whole army of us together couldn't take it down. Something no clan we knew had seen before anywhere around the world. No vampire or werewolf knew such a thing existed for real. How ironic. We thought we were the only ones.

Hiding from the ever unsuspecting, the ever oblivious, human eyes. All our powers combined were useless against this. I suddenly felt something move, really close to me, almost touching me. All the hairs in the back of my neck stood up. I couldn't understand how I hadn't phased yet.

Had I finally learned to control it?

But why now? Why at the moment of death?

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário